[OT] How can I change Debian's default Python version?

Franz GEIGER fgeiger at datec.at
Thu Jan 5 11:13:55 EST 2006

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

>> Agreed, so I took another Linux box to make sure to not make "custom
>> version" mistakes.
>>
>> Same here. Yes, there are 2.4-packages of all kind. But there's also a
>> dependency package "python" telling the whole box that Python is 2.3.5.
>> And when I want to install wxWidgets into Python 2.4, I am told that it
>> depends on Python 2.3.
>
> sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk2.6
>
> Which depends on python2.4

No, sorry, at least not on all my Sarge boxes. I'm told "needs python2.3"
when I look at its properties from within Synaptic (Dependency Tab): Needs
python-wxversion, needs python2.3, needs libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1) etc. etc.

> You do know aptitude, which displays dependend packages so that you can
> browse from python2.4 through the dependand packages and find e.g. wx in
> the correct version?

No, I still have to look-up such things - I am still on the move from
Windows to Linux. Thanks for the hint!

> And I repeat: Copying will lead to severe problems! You're talking about
> binary extensions here, that depend on a specific libpython.

Ok.

> Diez

Many thanks and kind regards
Franz