Running python apps from within python apps

aph martin.trojer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 10:09:14 EST 2006

Hello. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer
anywhere.

I want to create a truly "dynamic" app which can get new functions
"on-the-fly" and run them without having to re-start the main app.

I've found the code module that looks kind of hopefull. For instance
this works great:

import code

class myApp:

    def __init__(self):
        self.ii = code.InteractiveInterpreter()

    def kalle(self,str):
        return str.upper()

    def run_script(self,script):
        self.ii.runsource(script)

app = myApp()
app.run_script("print 'hello'")

Now I want this new script to interact with the existing program, and
it doesn't work. I cant for instance do:

app.run_script("print self.kalle('hello')")

Any tips of how to make this work? Is it possible?