pdb.py - why is this debugger different from all other debuggers?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Jan 16 13:32:58 EST 2006

    Andreas> Am Donnerstag, den 05.01.2006, 15:03 -0800 schrieb
    Andreas> rurpy at yahoo.com: I know this sounds like brutal, but I've been
    Andreas> developing Python code for a decade now, and I've almost never
    Andreas> used pdb.py. OTOH I also use gdb only for "bt" from a core
    Andreas> file.

In addition, if you are running Python from gdb, when you reach the (gdb)
prompt you can source the Misc/gdbinit file that comes with the Python
distribution to get a user-defined "pystack" command that will display the
current Python stack trace.  The "pystackv" command does that and displays
the values of all the local variables up the stack trace as well.  The "up"
and "down" commands are overridden as well so that they display the current
Python stack frame if the current C stack frame is PyEval_EvalFrameEx (the
main interpreter loop).

I also find pdb fairly unnecessary.  A combination of unittests, inserted
prints and the occasional use of cgitb is generally sufficient for my needs.

Skip