[OT] How can I change Debian's default Python version?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Thu Jan 5 12:30:05 EST 2006

Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>  As of this time, the Debian wxPython packages are only provided for
>  Python 2.3.  I couldn't tell you why. Try looking at the bug list
>  for python-wxgtk2.6. I'm sure there's a bug filed against it asking
>  for a Python 2.4 version. Perhaps the maintainer has explained why
>  there is no such version yet.

Debian have yet to pull their finger out and switch to Python 2.4 as
the default python even 2 years and 2 months after its initial
release!

I personally find that quite frustrating since debian is my OS of
choice. (Yes, becoming a Debian developer is on my todo list along
with spend less time at the computer and more with the children ;-)

However ubuntu, which is debian/unstable packaged up for end users, is
committed to python, and hence has python2.4 and all its packages.

There is nothing to stop you using ubuntu's python packages with
careful use of apt preferences and sources.list.  Or you can swap to
ubuntu completely using apt-get!