- E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Jan 10 06:52:35 EST 2006

Hi Alex,

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Alex Martelli wrote:
> 50%, yes (the other 50% must come from private contributions, that's a
> EU rule for research projects).  It used to be thought that some of the
> EU money could be used to help pay for sprint participants' travel
> expenses, but apparently something has gone wrong on that score
> (probably some EU administrative requirement) -- I didn't ever see any
> of the travel-expense-help money that was promised to me on one
> occasion, so I had to swallow that cost myself.

This is not the whole truth.  We have some procedure now for funding
travel costs, although it's admittedly very bureaucratic :-(

Anyway, independently of this, there are some people we are happy to see
come back again and again to PyPy sprints even though we know their budget
is extremely limited.  We have always arranged things for them to minimize
the costs.  It's nothing like a "congress" where you have to pay XXX/day
for having water and cake brought to the tables by the staff at 10am.  I
can certainly say that attending a PyPy sprint is not expensive at all;
I'd expect the major problem to be rather to find a week's free time for
it.

On the bureaucratic side: Alex, we *have* a procedure at this point, and
we have been trying to contact you several time in the past months -- with
no success as far as I know, so I'll try via comp.lang.python this time
:-)  If you still feel like seeing your money back in exchange for some
papers to fill and sign, please show up...

A bientot,

Armin