Who is www.python.org for? (was Re: New Python.org website ?)

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Mon Jan 23 03:55:13 EST 2006

Terry Hancock wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2006 14:18:18 -0800
> *I* don't want a "slick brochure" for Python as the website.
>
> For all the commercial value in Python (and there is plenty,
> I am sure), it's not Java, and I don't want it to be.  I'm
> cool with suits loving it too, but I don't want to have to
> put on a suit to play. Python is an absolutely top-notch
> free software language for free software developers, not
> least of which are the amateurs, who program for love, not
> money.
>
> I hesitate to express this opinion, because I don't want to
> seem intolerant (and I'm going to use whatever site there
> is), but if the suits can get their own place and leave me
> alone, I'm for that. ;-)
Cool!... I think thats exactly what we are after also. Only the home
page plus a handful of interior pages (in the about section) will be
targeted at businessmesn, developers and users. The rest of the site
will stay pretty much untouched (albeit cleaning up the html, ensuring
accessibility also adding consistent navigation to aid usability)

> For me, the most important function of the python.org site
> is as a quick-reference to deeper documentation that I
> actually need in the process of writing Python code.

All of these functions will still be in place.

> I don't really know if I'm the "market" for this site. I'm
> already sold on Python, after all, I just want something
> useful that I can use to stay up-to-date, and to find other
> Python resources if they move, get created, or if I just
> lose track of the URLs.

you shouldn't have a problem at all then. Developers are the primary
marketing for the site. The home page is the only one that needs to
server multiple purposes and we're trying to balance those multiple
purposes between developers who come to the python site for the first
time and business people who come to python for the first time. The
homepage isn't very often used by people who are already developing or
using python, apart from to view news and to use the navigation to find
deeper content.

What I'd like is to add a 'developer homepage' that includes lots of rss
feeds from python related sites, cheeseshop announcements, etc, etc.
Then the majority of developers can bookmark a really useful page.

Tim