Win32 Binary-only for 2.3.x?

dumpingrounds at gmail.com dumpingrounds at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:24:25 EST 2006

Claudio Grondi wrote:
> dumpingrounds at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I must be going nutty, but I can't seem to find anywhere where I can
> > get just the binaries for, say, 2.3.5 for win32.  I've googled high and
> > low and all I come up with is installer (MSI/EXE) binaries and the
> > source code.  They have to be somewhere.  I cant be the only person
> > that doesn't want it wrapped in an installer.  If I search "win32
> > python binary" I get about nine thousand results pointing to Mark
> > Hammond's win32 Python page which, while it looks very helpful,
> > provides win32 extensions for an already installed python distribution.
> >

> > So, I give.  Can someone point me to somewhere where there is a pile of
> > Python 2.3 EXE and DLLs that I can happily dump somewhere on my system
> > without having to install?  In case it matters, this is for a WAMP-like
> > project I'm developing that includes a working Trac installation.
> > Hence the need for Python, and the lack of need for an installer.  And
> > no, I *really* don't want to compile from source.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance!
> >
> Sorry, have no idea how to get them online, but ...
>
> an idea you have not yet excluded from beeing allowed to share with you
> is to use a temporary system you install Python once on and then copy
> over the files in order to get what you want (and then forget about the
> temporary system). Is it really that hard to do, that it should be worth
> to be provided separately?
> Anyone who has Python 2.3.5 installed has the files you need on his
> system, so another idea you have not yet rejected from beeing shared
> with you is, that you ask around to gain access to them.

Yeah, I guess that is one route to go down.  It just seems, I don't
know, hacky.  I will try it though, if I can't find the binaries online
by themselves.  I don't think it's a question of being "hard to do"
using the method you suggested, I just find it really odd that the only
method of delivery for win32 platform (for end users, at least) is via
an MSI.

I don't know, maybe it's just me :P