python & camera

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jan 20 19:08:46 EST 2006

Alex Gittens wrote:
> I'm working on a final project for my EE degree that requires the use
> of digital camera with high resolution. I'd like to do the image
> capture with Python, preferably in a cross-platform manner, but if
> necessary, we can limit ourselves to Windows. Any ideas on
> modules/hardware for doing this?

Pretty much anything will work if you have access to a vendor-supplied
(or other-supplied) DLL for the camera.  Just use ctypes to talk to the
DLL.  We've done this with Qimaging and Hamamatsu cameras easily enough.
  (These are possibly more expensive than what you'll be trying to use,
but then again maybe not.)

-Peter