Python module for Meade LX200 command set

RJS spam-this at blue-cove.com
Sun Jan 29 18:43:16 EST 2006

I've begun a Python module to provide a complete interface to the Meade
LX200 command set:
http://rjs.org/Python/LX200.py
and would like input from potential users or people interested in
developing it further.
The code I have online is a very alpha start - it contains all of the
command set, parsed from
http://www.meade.com/support/LX200CommandSet.pdf
reg-exp'd into methods, but few methods are actually complete yet.
My thinking is to have it useful for Python command line testing, as well
as GUI programs.
(cross-post disclaimer: I also posted this to python-list)

History: after searching for such a thing, I had found only:
http://72.14.203.104/search?
q=cache:hOgO7H_MUeYJ:phl3pc02.phytch.dur.ac.uk/
~jrl/source/source_code.html+lx200.py&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
from University of Durham, but the code is not available...
and
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/projgalileo/lx200/lx200.py?rev=1.4
from the Galileo project, but which only has a subset and is aimed at
their needs, mostly. Some of the Galileo code looks useful, and so I
might want to make use of at least some of the methodology, even if only
to get their interest as well.

Current input I would most like is on module structure and Pythonic-ness:
-Only one class, or two?
I was considering splitting the commands into two classes: Telescope and
Library, as either could be used without the other for a scope session.
(If you have large libraries on your PC, you do not need the LX one - or
if you don't, or have a PDA, then just doing a Library lookup alone might
be useful.)
If you were to "import LX200", how would you expect it to work?

-Should I have module methods, as I do? (Galileo uses some static
methods)

-What constants might be useful to define?

-When should the com port be opened/tested? (I have it on init...)

-What about the class names?

It is already ~1200 lines code and comments, even without most of the
commands actually useful yet, and so I'd like to get a good form started
before getting too far along.

Is anyone here interested in using such a module, or willing to critique?

Thanks,
Ray
arr-ayy-why-ess at blue-cove.com