- E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Mon Jan 2 01:00:04 EST 2006

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Anton Vredegoor <anton.vredegoor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Google's not a nice company (yeah, I know I'm posting from a google
>>account). If you look at their job requirements it's clear they will
>>only hire people with long backstabbing histories.
>
> Such as...? Guido van Rossum?  Greg Stein?  Vint Cerf?  Ben Goodger?
> Please DO share your insider-information about the "long backstabbing
> histories" of each and every one of these people, I'm sure it will be
> most fascinating (as well as useful for self-protection to future
> potential victims), and, after all, they ARE all rather public
> figures... TIA!
>
> Alex

The employees you've mentioned should have most possibly the basic
google employment requirement: BS or MS... [1].

This requirement from Google exists in nearly all other IT companies.

Without BS or MS you cannot have a "long back reaching history" - and
thus experience.

This is the main objection of Mr. Vredegoor.

-

I assume that Mr. Vredegoor uses the term "backstabbing" incorrect. Most
possibly he meand just something like "back reaching".

Possibly he can confirm.

btw: I don't understand exactly what Mr. Vredegoor means by "having
worked for the man".

Possibly he can clarify concisely.

-

Mr. Martinelli, you seem to know python.

May you can showcase how to overcome some of the limitations
(limitations in context of the evaluation template):

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/python.html

My Best Regards.

-

[1]
(copied from within this thread):
"""
Requirements:

     * BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent (PhD a plus).
     * Several years of software development experience.
     * Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems.
     * Experience with Unix/Linux or Windows environments, C++ development,
distributed systems, machine learning, information retrieval, network
programming and/or developing large software systems a plus.
"""

.

--
http://lazaridis.com