Try Python update

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 22:35:48 EST 2006

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

> aleax at mail.comcast.net (Alex Martelli) writes:
> > I'm finding it hard to arrange my own experiments with Safari (I'm using
> > a loaner machine since my normal one[s] are all having problems and
> > under repair) but I'm told the solution for cursor positioning is to set
> > the caretPos attribute of the textarea, like for example at
> > <http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=43245> ...
>
> caretPos is apparently an MS extension; it's not supported by Safari
> or the Gecko browsers.
>
> setSelectionRange is the standards-compliant version. It's not
> supported by Safari either :-(.

Meanwhile, other JS/DOM experts have told me that there's NO way to set
cursor position within a textarea according to w3c standards.  In this
case, what your site does now may be the "least bad" approach, and that
fact might be noted in the "browsers" subpage, together with a request
for anybody who has other ideas to submit them, I guess.

Sorry for wasting your time, I'm still having trouble believing that the
standards didn't bother to specify SOME way to perform such an
elementary functionality.

Alex