Preventing class methods from being defined

David Hirschfield davidh at ilm.com
Mon Jan 16 21:55:43 EST 2006

Thanks for this, it's a great list of the ways it can be done. Here's a
bit more insight into the arrangement I'm trying to get:

restrict = True

class A(object):
    _restrict = ["test"]

    def _null(self, *args, **kws):
        raise Exception,"not allowed to access"

    def test(self):
        print "test restricted"

    def __init__(self):
        if restrict:
            for f in self._restrict:
                setattr(self,f,self._null)

class C(R):
    def __init__(self):
        super(C,self).__init__()

    def test(self):
        print "test from c"

In this design, calling c.test() where c is an instance of C will raise
an exception. Now, the only thing I'd like is to not have to fill out
that _restrict list like that, but to have some function or something
that let's me say which methods are restricted in the same way you
define class methods or properties, i.e.:

class A(object):
    _restrict = []

    def _null(self, *args, **kws):
        raise Exception,"not allowed to access"

    def test(self):
        print "test restricted"
    restrict(test)
    #### this does some magic to insert "test" into the _restrict list

I can't really find a way to make that work with descriptors, and it
can't just be a function call, because I won't know what object to get
the _restrict list from. Is there a way to refer to the class that "is
being defined" when calling a function or classmethod?
So, ideas on how to accomplish that...again, greatly appreciated.
-Dave

--
Presenting:
mediocre nebula.