New Python.org website ?

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Thu Jan 19 13:12:33 EST 2006

Roel Schroeven wrote:
> - The header is too empty. Maybe "The Official Python Programming
> Language Website" should be there instead of under it. (I also think
> that title should be shorter, maybe something simply like "The Python
> Programming Language"

I also think that grey header area is wasting screen estate.
Another option would be to place a picture there, instead of
below it. It would mean that the picture needs to be less
tall. I suggest that we simply rotate the pictures like ads,
and that we always link to http://www.pythonology.org/success
or possibly to an anchor in a local page with a summary and
a link like now. (A hardcoded link to pythonology seems like
less maintenance, but means that pics need to relate to one
of those stories...)

In that way, the picture wouldn't intrude on the available
screen estate, and we could show a picture on each page. This
means that that someone who spends some time at the web site
will be exposed to pointers to a fair number of different case
stories. We just need the pictures...

At first, I thought that would cause problems by hiding the
search box for people who use narrow browser windows, but then
I saw how cleverly the pictures are cropped when the window is
made narrower. Very clever! Just make sure that the texts in the
pics are on the left side of the picture.

By the way, I suspect that the currently used pictures on the
beta site are borrowed from some other source, and that they can't
be used without explicit approval from the copyright holder. If
you want a royalty free picture of Astra Zeneca, I guess I could
drive down there and take a snapshot, it's not far, but it's a
bit dark and grey outdoors these days...