[ANN] PyLint 0.9
sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Tue Jan 10 10:02:32 EST 2006
I'm very pleased to announce the new 0.9 release of PyLint. This release
provides a lot of bug fixes and some new checks and other minor changes.
This release depends on the latest astng and logilab-common release (i.e.
0.14 and 0.13 respectivly), so install them before this one. The good news
is that the new astng inference capabilities should allow to add powerful
checks to pylint in a new future :o)
What's new ?
2006-01-10 -- 0.9.0
* a lot of updates to follow astng 0.14 API changes, so install
logilab-astng 0.14 or greater before using this version of pylint
* checker number 10 ! newstyle will search for problems regarding old
style / new style classes usage problems (rely on astng 0.14 new
style detection feature)
* new 'load-plugins' options to load additional pylint plugins (usable
from the command line or from a configuration file) (implements
* check if a "pylintrc" file exists in the current working directory
before using the one specified in the PYLINTRC environment variable
or the default ~/.pylintrc or /etc/pylintrc
* fixed W0706 (Identifier used to raise an exception is assigned...)
false positive and reraising a catched exception instance
* fixed E0611 (No name get in module blabla) false positive when accessing
to a class'__dict__
* fixed some E0203 ("access to member before its definition") false
* fixed E0214 ("metaclass method frist argument should be mcs) false
positive with staticmethod used on a metaclass
* fixed packaging which was missing the test/regrtest_data directory
* W0212 (method could be a function) has been reclassified in the
REFACTOR category as R0201, and is no more considerer when a method
overrides an abstract method from an ancestor class
* include module name in W0401 (wildcard import), as suggested by
* when using the '--parseable', path are written relative to the
current working directory if in a sub-directory of it (#9789)
* 'pylint --version' shows logilab-astng and logilab-common versions
* fixed pylint.el to handle space in file names
* misc lint style fixes
What is pylint ?
Pylint is a python tool that checks if a module satisfy a coding
standard. Pylint can be seen as another pychecker since nearly all
tests you can do with pychecker can also be done with Pylint. But
Pylint offers some more features, like checking line-code's length,
checking if variable names are well-formed according to your coding
standard, or checking if declared interfaces are truly implemented,
and much more (see http://www.logilab.org/projects/pylint/ for the
complete check list). The big advantage with Pylint is that it is
highly configurable, customizable, and you can easily write a small
plugin to add a personal feature.
The usage it quite simple :
$ pylint mypackage.mymodule
This command will output all the errors and warnings related to the
tested code (here : mypackage.mymodule), will dump a little summary at
the end, and will give a mark to the tested code.
Pylint is free software distributed under the GNU Public Licence.
Enjoy and happy new year !
Sylvain Thénault LOGILAB, Paris (France).
http://www.logilab.com http://www.logilab.fr http://www.logilab.org
More information about the Python-list