question about mutex.py

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jan 8 10:24:43 EST 2006

m_palmer45 at yahoo.ca wrote:
> yes, I read it, and I even know about threading's existence. I just
> thought that if something claims to be atomic, it better should be.

I think the term "atomic" is meaningful only when the context is known.
  For example, "atomic" operations in the Python interpreter are
certainly not atomic within the larger context of the CPU, and atomic
CPU operations are not necessarily atomic in the context of a system
with multiple CPUs.  If the context for mutex.py explicitly excludes
multi-threading then you have to interpret "atomic" in whatever context
that defines.

-Peter