Numarray, numeric, NumPy, scpy_core ??!!

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Fri Jan 20 19:42:08 EST 2006

J wrote:
> Hi
>
> I hope the title of this message indicates my question. I am looking
> for basic
> array functionality in Python and it turns out that there are all these
> packages which
> are somehow related. Some are allegedly discontinued but still seem to
> get updated. Could we start a discussion about which package will or
> may or should survive ?
>
> I started to use numarray, but I have a bug that I just cannot find a
> solution for, so I started
> to look around again. Basically I want to provide scripting support to
> a graphics engine. All the
> matrices and vectors are in C++ and all I want to do is provide an
> interface to python. As a matter of fact, all of the matrix
> multiplication etc, could remain in the native C++ code, but I need a
> way to extend the python language with the array data type and somehow
> intercept operator calls such as *,+,- ....
>
> How is that done in the current libraries... Thx for any help.
>

> Cheers
> Jochen

I know the pain having similar trouble to understand the dependencies
and what is what and why, so any enlightenment towards getting rid of my
confusion to distinguish what is what and why is highly welcome.

I decided to use numarray, so maybe you can report what your problem/bug
is before I run into it myself? The reason why I decided to use numarray
was, that the whole scpy_core story seems to get more or less commercial
and its free version comes because of this with no documentation of
newest features.

Claudio