Apology Re: Is 'everything' a refrence or isn't it?

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Wed Jan 4 19:18:07 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:54:17 -0800, KraftDiner wrote:

>>I though the contents of lst would be modified.. (After reading that
>>'everything' is a refrence.)
>
> See, this confusion is precisely why I get the urge to slap people who
> describe Python as "call by reference". It isn't.

On reading back over my post, I realise that it might
sound like I was mad at KraftDiner. My apologies -- I'm
not, I feel (s)he is the victim of incorrect
information here, not the culprit.

After all, as a Python newbie, how is KraftDiner
supposed to know that when people say "Python is call
by reference", what they actually mean is "Um, except
that it doesn't behave like any call by reference
language you're likely to have used before, and
sometimes it behaves more like call by value"?

--
Steven.