Why Go To PyCon [was:Microsoft IronPython?]

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 12 11:50:48 EST 2006

Nainto wrote:
> I came across this link today. http://tinyurl.com/9c7ta It seems
> Microsoft is getting involved with Python. What do you think of it? Is
> it any good? Anything to worry about?

Of course if you'd been at PyCon last year you'd have heard Jim
Hugunin's opening keynote "Python at Microsoft", and you'd have seen his
demonstration and know just how far Jim had already got IronPython.

Even then it was running selected benchmarks faster than CPython, though
it certainly wasn't faster across the board. A nice feature is it easily
interfaces with the whole slew of .NET components. I'm personally
wondering (without any data) whether ActiveState's recrelated to a
forthcoming Microsoft integration of Python into Visual Studio.

The major thing to take away from this is that we should *all* go to
PyCon if we can! This is a timely reminder, as the extended early bird
deadline expires on January 15. Don't forget to book your hotel
accommodation at the venue before February 1: at that point the special
conference rate ceases to be available.

Tutorials are also available at bargain prices the day before the
conference, so hurry along to

   http://us.pycon.org/TX2006/Registration

and make your reservation immediately!

hurry-hurry-hurry-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119