smtplib error('Connection reset by peer')

Tim Williams (gmail) tdwdotnet at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 04:47:15 EST 2006

On 4 Jan 2006 15:47:34 -0800, Van_Gogh <Terji78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am learning how to use the smtplib module, but am having some very
> early problems, maybe because I don't understand it.
> So, am I correct that by following the example in the Python:

[snip]

 When I try to create the server(the line 'server =
> smtplib.SMTP('localhost')) I get the following error message:

[snip]

error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')

> Anyone got a pointer as to what I could do?

Try turning off your XP firewall .     If this doesn't help,  try this from
a command prompt

c:\> telnet localhost 25  (return)

you should get some response from your server beginning with "220", if not
then Python isn't the problem.

in the telnet session,  type "quit "  + return  to end the session.

HTH :)

--

Tim Williams