SPE [was: Wingide is a beautiful application]

SPE - Stani's Python Editor spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 14:02:05 EST 2006

Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> IMO displayed messages should be clear without having to resort to a
> debugging mode.
I can agree on that.

> Debugging mode should only be for removing bugs, not
> for enlightenment of the user.
Unless he doesn't follow the installation instructions.

> Anyway, apt-getting spe now... which doesn't work:
>
> Unpacking python-wxversion (from .../python-wxversion_2.6.1.1.1ubuntu2_all.deb)
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/python-wxversion_2.6.1.1.1ubuntu2 _all.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wxversion.py',
>  which is also in package wxpython2.5.3
> If it's so hard to get the requirements installed, I'd rather stick to
> Vim.
It is so hard to contact the person who packages SPE for Ubuntu. I
contacted him but I get no answer. I am new to Ubuntu (or Linux in
general), so I would not have a clue how that works (apart from time
needed for it).

If you would have read the blog (http://pythonide.stani.be/blog), you
could clearly read this:

"""
SPE was for the first time tested on and improved for Ubuntu (and
hopefully so for Linux in general). I adapted SPE such that it can ran
out of the box of an archive (zip or tar.gz) (...) If you want to
install SPE in this way, use the -no_setup.zip distribution:

   1. uninstall previous version of SPE (VERY IMPORTANT, otherwise SPE
won't run)
   2. download and unpack the archive
SPE-0.8.1.d-wx2.6.1.0-no_setup.zip
   3. run SPE with 'python SPE.py'
"""

If you follow these three steps nothing more, nothing less, you are up
and running with SPE in one minute. I don't know how can I make it more
easy. Luckily other Ubuntu users had no problems and are running the
latest SPE already on Ubuntu.

> > I adapted SPE such that it can ran out of the box of an archive (zip
> > or tar.gz). This has the advantage that Linux (but also Mac and
> > Windows) don't have to install SPE anymore but can just run it out
> > of a folder or USB stick, provided the right version of wxPython
> > (2.6) is installed on the system as it is always the case with
> > Ubuntu boxes.
>
> Ehm... I think I've clearly shown that, at least as far as the Ubuntu
> packages go, not all requirement"s are always there on an Ubuntu
> system.

Supposing you use Ubuntu 5.10 "The Breezy Badger", all the requirements
are there: wxPython 2.6 That is all SPE needs. (If you still use Hoary,
read here http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/wxPython_20with_20Ubuntu)
So you have only clearly shown that you didn't read the instructions. I
wish SPE can be retrieved by apt-get but that's beyond my control.

> > If it doesn't work, let me know privately.
>
> Why? What's wrong with this newsgroup?
Nothing, just thought it might be off topic, SPE has forums or
newsgroups for that.

So follow this recipee:

- apt-get wxPython 2.6 (in case you don't have)

- uninstall your previous SPE attempts (no '_spe' or 'sm' folder may be
present in site-packages)
- get
http://download.berlios.de/python/SPE-0.8.1.d-wx2.6.1.0-no_setup.zip
and unpack it