VB to Python migration

Josh josh-post at istedconsulting.com
Mon Jan 30 12:01:23 EST 2006

Jon-Pierre Gentil wrote:
> I would look into Qt, PyQt, and the Qt Designer.  It'll provide one of the
> easiest ways of porting your existing GUI dialogs into Python.  Start
> building and componentizing your code.  In VB6, all classes are flat under
> a single branch of a project tree, whereas in Python you'll likely
> implement modules of similar functionality.  Overall porting your
> application will be a combination of rewriting, refactoring, and
> copy-and-translate code.  Good luck.  :-)  It actually sounds like a fun
> project to be on.  I had a lot of VB6 experience back in "the day" and a
> project like that would be a lot of fun to me.

We had looked at QT a while ago, but not in relation to Python. We were
just looking at it in relation to rewriting in C++. We'll have to
revisit it, paying attention to PyQt.

It is a rather fun project to be on. It's such a gigantic program
though, it gets difficult to comprehend how long it's going to take to
make this transision. Whether it's to Python, or some other direction.

Josh