OT: excellent book on information theory

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Jan 20 22:22:05 EST 2006

On 2006-01-21, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:

>> One question here is: Are US English and UK English different languages
>> or not? If they are, a translation is in place. If they are not, the
>> text should have been left as is. I guess the answer is:
>> -Well, sort of...
>
> That's the sort of question which you should be asking a
> linguist. I'm told that linguists do NOT consider US English
> and UK English different languages, but merely different
> variants of English.
>
> And of course, "standard UK English" and "standard US English"
> are hardly spoken by anyone in the UK or US respectively. Both
> countries have dozens of different dialects and variants.
>
> But the real question is why it is that American publishers
> believe their readers are so lazy and ignorant that they
> require special "translations" of British books. I don't know
> anyone who has said "I'm glad that I read the American edition
> of [Harry Potter/Discworld/pick your own example], it was much
> better than the British edition." Not even American fans.

The next thing you know, there are going to be American
translations of Jane Austin where a girl says to her sister
"dude, he is such a hottie!" and she replies "oh my god, for
sure!"

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Intra-mural sports
                                  at               results are filtering