batch tiff to jpeg conversion script

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jan 11 15:19:16 EST 2006

rtilley at vt.edu wrote:
> Hope it's not inappropriate to post this here.
>
> Could someone critique my code?
[snip]
>                         im.save(outfile, "JPEG", quality=100)

 From an effbot posting on 13 Jul 2002:

'''JPEG quality 100 is overkill, btw -- it completely disables JPEG's
quantization stage, and "mainly of interest for experimental pur-
poses", according to the JPEG library documentation, which
continues:

     "Quality values above about 95 are NOT recommended for
     normal use; the compressed file size goes up dramatically
     for hardly any gain in output image quality."

(full text below):

Should probably add something about this to the PIL docs...
'''

(As near as I can tell, so far, the last comment hasn't been followed
through on.)

-Peter