OT: excellent book on information theory

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 04:53:21 EST 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:

> The first few pages are a review of probability theory but I think
> they assume you've seen it before.  The book's subject matter is more
> mathematical by nature than what most programmers deal with from day
> to day, and as such, the book is not for everyone.

And so the cycle repeats itself. We teach our students the world is all
about money, and sure enough, the world is all about money. If we would
continue to keep the interesting things away from most of the people,
by hiding it behind mathematical jargon we end up believing that
functional programming is connected to having a math degree and more
such self serving and self fullfilling prophecies.

An excellent book would break with this jargon advertising
salesmanship.

Anton

"but I'll give it one more try"