VB to Python migration

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Sun Jan 29 13:05:15 EST 2006

Ravi Teja wrote:
> 230 UI screens is a lot. An app of that nature is not something people
> commonly do in Python (although I would be happy to see people show me
> wrong).

Maybe not, but I don't doubt that it's reasonable to replace a
VB app with 230 UI screens with Python code.

A code of that size is something that's grown over time, and if
it's rewritten, it seems likely that it will end up with fewer
screens without fewer features.

Besides, while VB makes it very easy to duplicate a lot of code,
and end up in a situation where you have to manually change things
230 times through the GUI if something changes in all screens, it's
very convenient to use inheritence for GUI development with e.g.
wxPython. I supect the screens have a lot in common, and that it
would be fairly clear how to build a class hierachy of that, and
avoid code duplication. The end result will be a more homogenous
application and a lower maintenance cost.

The really silly thing to do is to apply VB idioms on Python.