Windows vs. Linux

William Witteman hmm at woolgathering.cx
Mon Jul 31 09:38:51 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 04:30:50AM -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:
>noahmd at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Is Windows
>> an okay enviornment in which to program under Python, or do you
>> recommend that I run a dual-boot of Linux or maybe a VMWare install
>> program under Python?
>
>Python is one of the best languages I've found for
>platform-independence - significantly better than Perl.  Right now I'm
>coding Python that runs happily under Redhat, Windows /Cygwin and
>Windows native. It also integrates closely with command line tools like
>subversion, including piping their output into Python-based XML
>parsers. This really wouldn't be easy with Perl.

No, it's easy with Perl too - but this is a Python list, so use Python
:-)

>Find yourself an editor that's pretty similar under both Unix and
>Windows. jEdit is a good place to start.

This is very good advice.  I would recommend vim or emacs (mostly vim,
but I don't wish to start a holy war) as the text-editing power tools of
choice, but you should find something that suits your style.  This list
can probably provide some guidance there, too.

>You might also like to look at running Cygwin under Windows. It's a
>Unix-like command shell that provides nearly every command-line Unix
>tool you could want on a Windows box. Can be a little awkward at times,
>but it's a huge advantage over raw Windows.

Ditto.
--

yours,

William