Out of the box database support

Alex Biddle heuristic at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 04:16:27 EDT 2006

> >  Do you really want "smarmy" here? I don't think it works. Don't you
> >  mean "flip" or "smart-alecky" or "facetious"?
>
> Hmm. I think the word we're looking for here is "snarky". ;-)
>
> Although, I confess to ignorance on what a "snark" is or whether
> it is particularly known for brief self-consciously clever sarcastic
>
> I sympathize with the shared-hosting problem, that's a major pain.
> I would say 'go find a virtual private hosting service', but my
> batting average is not so good with actual companies on that. I had
> one that was pretty decent, but then went out of business and now
> I'm with one that has rather poor-to-mediocre support and has been
> extraordinarily slow ("VPSLand", BTW).  I don't suppose anyone has
> better options? I was looking for somebody that would let me run
> Debian on a VPS.
>
> Cheers,
> Terry

Thanks for the considerate reply, it is annoying being stuck on a
shared server.

> > Thanks for the info. No thanks for the smarmy "pony" comment.
>
> Do you really want "smarmy" here? I don't think it works. Don't you
> mean "flip" or "smart-alecky" or "facetious"?
>

>From some Internet dictionary:
Smarmy:
1. Hypocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest; unctuous. See
Synonyms at unctuous.
2. Sleek.

I was aiming specifically towards the "effusively earnest" I don't
think that's a bad word to describe "would you like a pony with that
too?"

Anyway, the first time I read replies to my message I chuckled. It's
like the stereotypical intellectual debate, if you don't like the
message then focus on the detail.

The message in this case was that I /couldn't/ install anything by
myself as it is on a /shared/ server that's why I wanted to know
whether there was anything out of the box I could use.

Of course I would install all the "ponies" I wanted given I had proper
privileges to the machine.