Fork You.. Forking and threading..

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Jul 5 13:26:42 EDT 2006

On 2006-07-05, rh0dium <steven.klass at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with putting a job in the background. Here is my
> (ugly) script which I am having problems getting to background.  There
> are threads about doing
>
>      python script.py &
>
> and others
>
>      nohup python script.py &
>
> and yet others
>
>      ( python script.py > /dev/null & ) &
>
> Regardless timing these all produce (roughly the same time) and none of
> them are backgrounded.

Yes they are -- unless you're using a different definition of
the word "backgrounded" than the rest of the Unix world.

What do you mean by "backgrounded"?

What are you trying to accomplish?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow!! That's a GOOD
                                  at               IDEA!! Eating a whole FIELD