RedHat: Easiest way to upgrade from Python 2.3 to 2.4

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Thu Jul 13 14:21:03 EDT 2006

gmax2006 wrote:
> My RedHat Linux installation already has Python 2.3 on it.
> What is the easiest way to upgrade it to 2.4?

The source tar-ball contains an file Misc/RPM/python-XXX.spec that you can use
to build an RPM ("rpmbuild -bs" or "rpm -bs"). The resulting package will
normally be called "python2.4", so if your current installation uses plain
"python" (rpm -q python), you can install it without any problems with
backwards compatibility.

Stefan