What is a type error?

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Sun Jul 16 14:44:41 EDT 2006

Marshall <marshall.spight at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible you're being distracted by the syntax? WHERE is a
> binary operation taking a relation and a filter function. I don't
> think of filters as being like array indexing; do they appear
> analogous to you? (Always a difficult question because often
> times A and B share some qualities and not others, and
> what does one call that?)

This is definitely a good question.  Nevertheless, I think we're fooling
ourselves if we decide that we've made progress by defining part of the
problem out of existence.  The original problem was that when there are
several ways of getting access to something that is identical (rather
than just equal), this causes problems for invariant checking.  These
several ways of accessing data are being called 'aliasing' -- I have no
comment on whether that's standard usage or not, because I don't know.
I suspect that aliasing is normally used for something closer to the
physical level.  The point is that whatever "aliasing" really means,
what we're discussing is having two paths by which one may access
identical data.

So there are infinitely complex ways in which this can occur.  I can
have pointers that are aliased.  I can have integers, which by
themselves are just plain values, but can alias each other as indices
into an array.  I can have strings that do the same thing for an
associative array.  I can, of course, have arbitrarily more complex data
structures with exactly the same issue.  I can also have two different
WHERE clauses, which when applied to the same relation yield exactly the
same set of tuples.  The problem arises when code is written to update
some value (or set of tuples, in the SQL case, since definitions differ
there) using one pointer/int/string/WHERE clause/etc, and at the same
time an invariant was written using the other pointer/int/WHERE/etc, the
result is that either of:

a) The compiler has to be able to prove that the two are not aliased

b) The compiler has to re-evaluate the invariant from scratch when this
operation is performed.

(Yeah, there's actually a whole continuum between a and b, based on more
limited abilities of the compiler to prove things.  I'm oversimplifying,
and I think it's rather benign in this case.)

So in this sense, a WHERE clause is a binary operation in exactly the
same way that an array indexing expression is a binary operation, and
both are capable of aliasing in at least this logical sense.

Now it's certainly true that languages with unrestricted pointers are
less successful at limiting the scope of re-evaluation of invariants.
In the array or SQL relation cases, there's a limited set of value/tuple
modifications that might cause the invariant to need rechecking
(specifically those that point to the same array, or to the relation or
one of its views).  A language with unrestricted untyped pointers, if it
doesn't get lucky with the capture analysis, may have to re-evaluate all
invariants in the application on any given assignment.  Nevertheless,
the re-evaluation of the invariant still needs to be done.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer /Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation