Capturing instant messages

Paul Rubin http
Tue Jul 18 02:43:44 EDT 2006

Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> writes:
> 	But assuming that there is no such product, would it be
> possible to  create something in Python, using the socket or a similar
> module?  They have a number of servers that provide NAT for each group
> of  machines; I was thinking that something on those servers could
> capture all traffic on port 5190 and write it to disk. Is this
> reasonable, or am I being too simplistic in my approach?

Are you talking about IM's within the company, or over the internet?
According to

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Message

There are about a bazillion different protocols in use.  You have to
make sure everyone's using the same thing.  Some of these protocols
use end to end encryption, which means logging at the network side
would just record ciphertext.  You need to get these issues figured out.

Also ask them if they're sure they need to log the conversations.
According to some legal decisions, in some states, logging chats
without both parties' permission is illegal, like recording a phone
call.  IM's are supposed to be transient communications, unlike email.
As such, logging all the company's IM's is sort of like audio
recording all the company's phone calls.  I think the company should
get a lawyer to look at this question if it hasn't already.