Looking for a high performance web server written in Python, and supports CGI/FastCGI

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Jul 6 12:46:33 EDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:36:25 -0700, Jack <nospam at invalid.com> wrote:
>Basically I am trying to find a high performance web server. Since
>Python is installed on all of the servers, It'll be great if the web
>server is written in Python as well. Otherwise, I will have to install
>lighttpd or other web servers.
>
>Then the largest issue with Python-based web servers is performance.
>That's why I start to look into medusa or twisted-based servers. Twisted
>seems too big and complicated for what I really want to do and the
>original medusa web server only has very basic functionality.

Even though it may seem that way, it really isn't.  Keep in mind that
since you're only looking for a web server, 90% of Twisted won't even
come into play for you.  If you want, you can even install *only* the
webserver (of course, unless you're on an embedded platform where disk
space is at a premium there's not really much point).

A bigger problem, I reckon, is that twisted.web doesn't support FastCGI
and twisted.web2 is still a moving target.

You haven't really said much about your requirements though.  Perhaps
if you describe them in more detail (for example, what does "high
performance" mean to you?) someone can make a more useful recommendation.

Jean-Paul