Help in string.digits functions

John McMonagle jmcmonagle at velseis.com.au
Tue Jul 25 01:31:23 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 22:19 -0700, Anoop wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am getting two different outputs when i do an operation using
> string.digits and test.isdigit(). Is there any difference between the
> two. I have given the sample program and the output
>
> Thanks for ur inputs
>
> Anoop
>
> #1:
> ~~
> import string
>
> test='121206'
>
> if test not in string.digits:
>     print "I am Not Digit"
> else:
>     print "I am Digit"
>
> #2:
> ~~
> import string
>
> test='121206'
>
> if not test.isdigit():
>     print "I am Not Digit"
> else:
>     print "I am Digit"
>
> Output
> ~~~~~
> #1:I am Not Digit
> #2:I am Digit
>
> Thnks and Rgds
>
> Anoop

string.digits is the string constant '0123456789'

So your test, "if test not in string.digits:" will evaluate True because
'121206' is not in '0123456789'.

Whereas test.isdigit() returns true if all the characters in test are
digits.

So yes, there is a big difference between the two.

Regards,

John

believed to be clean.