Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Wed Jul 26 13:13:22 EDT 2006

Ray wrote:

> > But you can't compile a Python module into a dotNet library that is
> > used from C# which is the very essence of the CLR. IronPython is not
> > more usefull than PythonNet.
>
> At least for my case I will use IronPython for higher level task, and
> perhaps calls libraries written in C# instead of the other way around,
> plus you can leave your module as scripts anyway. If what you want from
> C# is accessing Python's power then you can always host the IronPython
> engine can't you?

Yes, it is a two-way scripting. But then you can also access the
CPython interpreter as a dll. Another promising approach is that of a
CLR backend for PyPy but it compiles only RPython directly and one
needs a separate interpreter for anything more advanced in Python.

O.K. Let me do a constructive suggestion here. In order to demonstrate
the usefullness of the Python + .NET bridge why not writing a nice
little application? I've once written a Python console using
CPython+Scintilla+PythonNet. It is still buggy but feature complete (
at least I implemented all requirements I had to make ). One can
replace PythonNet using IronPython and embedd the console in a little
IronPython application.

If you are interested in this stuff I would start reanimating my code.
You can mail me at kay at fiber-space.de