Replace Whole Object Through Object Method

Maric Michaud maric at aristote.info
Mon Jun 26 12:42:11 EDT 2006

Le lundi 26 juin 2006 17:57, digitalorganics at gmail.com a écrit :
> How can an object replace itself using its own method? See the
> following code:
>
> class Mixin:
>     def mixin(object, *classes):
>         NewClass = type('Mixin', (object.__class__,) + classes, {})
>         newobj = NewClass()
>         newobj.__dict__.update(object.__dict__)
>         return newobj

Variables in python are names, not the objects, and instances shouldn't know
nothing about how they are referenced.

I guess what you want to do is, in fact, very simple somethig like :

a = SomeClass()
a = a.some_method_wich_return_a_new_object()

or :

for k, v in globals().iteritems() :
	if isinstance(v, SomeClass) :
		globlals()[k] = v.some_method_wich_return_a_new_object()

> def isClass(object):
Don't mask builtin names.
>     if 'classobj' in str(type(object)):
Why don't you test the type directly ?
>         return 1
Python has boolean for clarity.

>     elif "'type'" in str(type(object)):
>         return 1
>     else:
>         return 0
should be :

import types

def isClass(object_) :
    if isinstance(object_, type) :
        return True # new style class
    elif isinstance(object_, types.ClassType) :
        return True # old-style class
    else : return False

or if you don't need to diferentiate the cases :

def isClass(object_) :
    return isinstance(object_, type) or \
                isinstance(object_, types.ClassType)

> def listClasses():
>     classes = []
>     for eachobj in globals().keys():
>         if isClass(globals()[eachobj]):
>             classes.append(globals()[eachobj])
>             print eachobj
>     return classes
>
> def MixInto(Class, Mixin):
>     if Mixin not in Class.__bases__:
>         Class.__bases__ += (Mixin,)

This doesn't work in most cases (with new style classes), better recreat a
type which inherit from Class and Mixin, or Class.__dict__ with
Mixin.__dict__.

--

Maric Michaud

Aristote - www.aristote.info