embedded Python calling app via COM

Jim jim at trainplayer.com
Wed Jun 21 07:03:40 EDT 2006

I have a C++ app which fires up a Python script using C API calls.
That script operates the app via Automation calls, like this:

from win32com.client import *
from mywrapper import *

myapp = Application()
myapp.Visible = True
mydoc = myapp.Documents.Open(...)

My problem is to make sure the instance of myapp is the same one I am
calling from.  The above code starts up a new instance of the app,
which is not what I want.  In other words I need something like a
GetObject instead of a CreateObject, and I need some way to identify
the calling app so I can tell GetObject about it.

Before I go and do something hack, I thought I'd see if anyone else is
in this situation and knows a good way to do the job.

  -- Jim