direct initialization of class attributes vs. declarations w/in __init__

digitalorganics at gmail.com digitalorganics at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 23:18:07 EDT 2006

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> > No need to be obnoxious. I do appreciate your efforts to help, but you
> > must admit, your last statement is a bit snide and certainly not
> > useful.
>  > I'm telling you that the code runs differently on my laptop.
>
> It certainly doesn't. There is absolutely no imaginable way how this
> behavior could be different, even if the python versions would differ
> considerably. Apart from quantum-fluctuations. Or other SciFi voodoo.

Hmmm

> > Why this is, I don't know any more /or/ less than you do apparently.
>
> Frederik (as one of the most profiled python developers out there) might
> not be the most amicable of posters,

Although he dropped what I perceived to be a snide and unhelpful
comment, two things. One, I understand what's behind it in the sense
that the behavior I was describing goes against the semantic
fundamentals of python, and should therefore be impossible. Two,
Fredrik is no doubt a sweetheart and he showed it by continuing to put
his efforts toward helping me despite my criticism of him. I can't
thank him enough. Honestly, I believe newsgroups need more people like
him . . .

> It is NOT identical code, otherwise you won't see different
> results. It might be code from which you _believe_ it is identical, and
> the difference might be subtle to see. But if you'd store it in a file,
> execute on your laptop, use an usb-stick and then transfer it to
> whatever the other machine of yours is, it will yield the exact same
> results.
>
> Diez

Read my other post. The code was/is definitely identical. In any event,
I don't really care. It's working properly now, and if I have similarly
weird problems in future, I'll deal with them at that time. I don't
know what was up, but I understand it doesn't make sense from any
visible standpoint of logic. Thank you for your efforts Diez...