a good programming text editor (not IDE)

H J van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Sat Jun 17 04:49:02 EDT 2006

Tim Chase wrote:

| > No need to argue. I started with vim, and finally switched to
| > emacs less than one year later.
|
| Both are very-much-so good editors.  I made the opposite switch
| from emacs to vim in less than a year.  Both are good^Wgreat
| editors, so one's decision to use one over the other is more a
| matter of working style.  I don't grok LISP, and just never felt
| at home in emacs, despite all the power I could see that was
| there.  I grok vim (and its similar power/extensibility), so I
| migrated to it.  I have to laugh at the whole holy-war thing, as
| it's somewhat like arguing about a favorite color.  "But blue is
| so better than green!  The sky is blue!"  "Nuh, uh!  Green is far
| better than blue!  Grass is green!" (okay, here in Texas, that
| doesn't always hold as true...maybe personality #2 should be
| arguing for brown instead).
|
| My best friend is an emacs user, and I'm a vimmer...it doesn't
| come between us. :)

You guys are not gonna believe this - I keep a low grade PC specially so that I
can do my programming with Brief  (yes the one by Underware) - and yes I know
Emacs has a so called *crisp* emulator - but IMNSHO it sucks!

I like the macros, I do some stuff with the macro language, and as a mostly
assembler programmer, I adore the way it copies and pastes columns with minimal
keystrokes....

And I switch between buffers (different files - "modules" in Python ) - with an
alt n or alt - .....

and worse - like the confirmed Vi or Emacs user - the problem is that you get
used to it, and ya dont wanna change...

- Hendrik

I wish I could run this on my Linux box....