Building Web Site Using Python

Simon Forman rogue_pedro at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 18:27:07 EDT 2006

Roman wrote:
> I am new to python.
>
> I am looking to read in a 12mb csv file, parse it, generate web pages,
> summarize on a column and make drop down bottons.
>
> Where would I be able to find sample code that does something similar
> to this?
>
> Also, I know that microsoft has put out .net beta version of it.  If I
> am using windows server, I am confined to use iron python? or are there
> alternatives? Perhaps, there are python web packages that have their
> own web server engine?
>
> Thanks in advance,

*sigh*, sorry for the snarky answer..  but seriously ten minutes on
google should answer all your questions.

Meantime, for csv parsing you can use the csv module
(http://docs.python.org/lib/module-csv.html);  for generating HTML I
recommend ElementTree (http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm) but
there are lots of other packages that will do this too;  as for windows
server and python, I know nothing..;  python comes with a web server
(http://docs.python.org/lib/module-SimpleHTTPServer.html) but you'd
probably want to use one of the aproximately dozen other python
packages that have their own web server engine..  Zope, twisted, ...
there are lots of them- search this news group, IIRC they've been
mentioned recently.

Google is your friend,

Peace,
~Simon