Which compiler will Python 2.5 / Windows (Intel) be built with?

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Thu Jun 15 16:10:21 EDT 2006

meyer at mesw.de wrote:
> ... So I'd like to ask you:
> why was the decision taken a while ago (and is not subject to
> reconsideration) and what are the reasons for using VS2003? I mean
> there must be a real good reason why you're doing this, as I only see
> disadvantages in it.

The disruption in Python 2.4 in switching from one compiler (VC6) to
another VS2003 was not insubstantial.  By sticking with VS2003, sometime
users can at least use the same tool for Python 2.4 and Python 2.5.  It
does seem inevitable we will have to switch for 2.6.  We are very far
along in the process of releasing Python 2.5 (beta1 is due out soon),
and rebuilding and testing with a new translation system is too big a
change at this point.

Note there was strong resistance to leaving VC6 for Python 2.4.  That
resistance was overcome only by the fact that it was no longer possible
to purchase suitable versions of VC6.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org