Python taught in schools?

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Mon Jun 26 10:59:55 EDT 2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> In article <1hhhbmb.qcvbcn14uox59N%aleax at mac.com>,
>  aleax at mac.com (Alex Martelli) wrote:
>
> >... let's try some google searches and see the number of million hits...:
>
> But how reliable are those estimates of numbers of hits, anyway? More
> than once I've got a page showing something like "Results 1 - 10 of
> about 36 hits", only to find that there were no more pages after the
> second one. If it could get estimates so wrong with such small numbers,
> how can you trust the large ones?

If your experience in the matter dates from a few months ago (and most
of us may have done Google searches for years, contributing to form our
impressions) it may perhaps not be all that applicable any more,
according to rumors from early this year (e.g.
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1916406,00.asp>) and blogging
notes by Matt Cutts at <http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/bigdaddy/> .

If you can give examples of a query which estimates the (small) number
of results very badly, net of course of Duncan Booth's observation
regarding Google's attempts to filter out near-duplicates, I'll be glad
to look further into the matter (my group is Production Systems, just
about as far from such issues as you can imagine -- rather, we write
software to keep our clusters, networks &c smoothly running, monitor
them, and so forth -- but, of course, I do have friends over in Search
Quality and related groups... fortunately, Google has so far managed to
avoid much of the "silos syndrome"... so I'll be glad to check it out,
but I do need specific examples!-).

Alex