Bug reporting impossible

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 12:43:30 EDT 2006

In article <1151598979.369897.140770 at x69g2000cwx.googlegroups.com>,
"Simon Forman" <rogue_pedro at yahoo.com> writes:
|> Nick Maclaren wrote:
|> > Create a file called '<stdin>' in your current directory containing
|> > 'print "Oh, yeah?\n"' and then import a module that doesn't exist.
|> > Don't include the single quotes.
|>
|> Why would you have a file named '<stdin>' in your current directory?

Why would Python search for one? :-)

In both cases, the normal answer is "Someone made a mistake" but, if
you have a script that creates a files of the same names specified in
the current directory, what name should it use if you specify stdin?
It is one of the standard conventions, which is (after all) why Python
is searching for it.

Anyway, I have now reported the bug - but this bug is more amusing than
serious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.