Tried Ruby (or, "what Python *really* needs" or "perldoc!")

msoulier msoulier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 09:48:59 EST 2006

> I have found the Python sidebar VERY helpful:

Personally, I can't use local docs on my desktop as they may not be the
same version of the docs for the Python distro running on the server
that I'm deploying on. I usually go to python.org and use the wayback
machine to look at the old docs for the release that I'm on.

But, if Python would match Perl for docs available on the command-line,
then I'd have it all at my fingertips. I simply don't understand why
this is not being done. When I'm coding in C, I use the manpages on the
remote host so that I know the docs are correct for my target. Why
can't I do that in Python? It's yet another thing that my Perl-using
coworkers point out as a Python weakness.

Mike