Papers on Dynamic Languages

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Mar 4 17:20:52 EST 2006

Jay Parlar wrote:

> Anyway, I want to talk about things like typing disciplines (weak,
> strong, etc.),"class vs. prototype, JIT technologies in dynamic
> languages, interactive interpreters, etc.

There are a few classic papers on a number of these topics, but I'll
leave it to the papers mentioned below to provide references.

> I've got Brett Cannon's thesis already, but I'm looking for references
> to some more papers on these topics. A Python basis for any of the
> papers would be preferred, but anything will do.
>
> Any suggestions? This is my first real research paper in grad school,
> so I'm starting out from scratch here.

I'd have a look at the following Python-related papers:

Michael Salib's Starkiller paper (and presentation):
http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/1/

Mark Dufour's ShedSkin paper:
http://kascade.org/optimizing_python.pdf

John Aycock's "Aggressive Type Inference" paper:
http://www.python.org/workshops/2000-01/proceedings/papers/aycock/aycock.html

I also provided a fair number of references in the following thread:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/cc98317bdf96efda

I hope this is of use!

Paul