Removing .DS_Store files from mac folders

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 8 23:19:15 EST 2006

David Pratt wrote:

> Hi Ben. I hadn't realize that walk was just giving the file name so the
> join did the job just great.

I don't think that deleting the .DS_Store files is the
right approach to this, for various reasons:

* You're messing with MacOSX's metadata, which is
   not a nice thing to do to it.

* Your .DS_Store may contain info you'd like to keep,
   such as icon positions in the window.

* One day you might want to do this under a userid
   that doesn't have the necessary permissions.

* It might not even work, since the .DS_Store could
   get re-created in between your purge and creating
   the tarball.

It would be better to just avoid putting the .DS_Store
files in the tarball. For example, collect the pathnames
of all the .DS_Store files and give them as an exclusion
list to tar.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,