Which GUI toolkit is THE best?

David Boddie davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Sat Mar 11 10:36:18 EST 2006

Alan Franzoni wrote:

> FLTK was interesting but seems to lack maintenance and support,

Looking at the News section of the project's home page, I can see
that updates were few and far between in 2004 and 2005, but the
action seems to have picked up again since:

  http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net/#news

> pyQT is a bit 'unfree' for most uses.

"Unfree" as in the opposite of freedom, or "unfree" as in the price of
beer?

PyQt for Qt 3 is available under the GNU General Public License on
Mac OS X and Linux. Since Qt 4 can be used under the GPL on all
platforms, you'll even be able to write software on Windows with PyQt4
that's licensed under a GPL-compatible license.

  FAQ: http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/faq.php
  Roadmap: http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/roadmap.php

> Tkinter is quite old stuff.

But actively supported and promoted:

  http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter

And I'm sure there are plenty of other solutions that deserve to be
mentioned:

  http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

David