algorithmic mathematical art

Xah Lee xah at xahlee.org
Sun May 7 06:14:26 EDT 2006

i've long time been interested in algorithmic mathematical art. That
is, mathematical or algorithmic visual art works that are generated by
computer such that the program's source code reflects the algorithmic
essence of the visual quality in the art work. (for detail, see
Algorithmic Mathematical Art at
 http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t1/20040113_cmaci_larcu.html
)

Mathematica programers, especially Michael Trott, have been doing
algorithmic mathematical art since the early 1990s. I started my
programing career with Mathematica in 1995, and since late 1990s i've
been searching for such work outside of Mathematica, but it is almost
non-existent. (maybe less than 10 cases that i know of, and most their
code do not capture the algorithmic nature of the rendered art.) The
one most prominent mention of it is in chapter 2 of the book Structure
and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Hal Abelson et al.

anyway, today i ran into this page by Frank Buß
http://www.frank-buss.de/lisp/functional.html
which used the idea in the book to render a traditional Escher's tiling
piece.

I hope this will help the spread of algorithmic mathematical art. If
you find other algorithmic mathematical art, please let me know!

   Xah
   xah at xahlee.orghttp://xahlee.org/