Python Programming Books?

gregarican greg.kujawa at gmail.com
Wed May 24 14:12:49 EDT 2006

I third this opinion. This book gave me a lot of insight and helped me
get comfortable using Python. I also recall looking at a document Guido
published on how to get started with Python as well as reading the
reference docs that come bundled with the language install. Of course I
came from a background of already using Ruby so the departure wasn't
altogether difficult. The languages are different but to me they seem
like cousins :-)

Typically when I try to teach myself a new language, such as Python,
Ruby, Smalltalk, Scheme, Haskell, etc. I check out my online catalog
through my local library system. Usually I can find a couple of books
to peruse. If I don't like them I can just drop them back off. Then I
check out eBay for used books. This route was especially helpful for
teaching myself Smalltalk, since a lot of the books were 10-20 years
old so I picked them up for anywhere between $1.00 to $5.00.

I digress. "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz is a thorough and complete
introduction to what you need to know to get started. Even if you are
coming into Python with no prior programming language exposure.