using import * with GUIs?

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Wed May 31 19:35:37 EDT 2006

On 5/31/06, John Salerno <johnjsal at nospamgmail.com> wrote:

> I guess if I'm going to learn a GUI, I might as well jump right into
> wxPython from the beginning.

May I recommend that you take a look at the Dabo project? While they
have a full application framework for creating database applications,
you can easily just use the dabo.ui module, which wraps wxPython. This
eliminates most of the C++ cruft that wxPython inherited from
wxWidgets, and makes for a much more Pythonic experience.

I worked with wxPython for a couple of years, and looked at Dabo based
on a recommendation on the wxPython list. Since then, I haven't
written a single app using raw wxPython; I use the dabo.ui module for
all my GUI applications. It gives you all the advantages of wxPython,
but it just works better.

--

# p.d.