John Bokma harassment

Mitch spudtheimpaler at hotORgooMAIL.invalid
Wed May 24 10:34:23 EDT 2006

ilitzroth at gmail.com wrote:
> Xah Lee schreef:

[...]
>> If you believe this lobbying to my webhosting provider is unjust,
>> please write to my web hosting provider abuse at dreamhost.com
>>
>> Your help is appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>    Xah
>>    xah at xahlee.org
>>http://xahlee.org/
>
> We seem to have strayed a long way from Voltaire's
> "I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your
> right to say it.",
> but that was of course the age of enlightenment.
> Immanuel

I would have to say +1 for Voltaire.  Xah has as much right to post to
the newsgroups as I do to skip over them.  One of the reasons I enjoy
lurking on newsgroups is the passion with which a lot of you speak;
however, I do think there are a lot of short tempers flying around.
Perhaps its because you've been putting up with this guy a lot longer
than I have, but I can't imagine it takes that much effort to
skip/block/kill file his posts.  It's his as much as anyone else's, and
all the while this is an unmoderated medium he has the *right* to say as
he pleases.

That said, if the ISP is kicking you off, it should be because you have
broken a TOC.  IF you don't think that that is the case, then that is
your beef with them.

Secondarily, all these essays end up on your site anyway, so why post
the whole thing /again/ on the newsgroups when you could just link to
the page, perhaps with a brief summary.  Will that not

A) still allow you to advertise the essays

B) Save resources rather than copying everything twice

and

C) Piss less people off?

I'm sure you aren't worried about pissing people off, but when it
results in you getting kicked from your ISP, this just seems so much
more sensible an answer.

My 2 cents.

P.S.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Summary) says:

<quote>
Article 19.

       Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this
right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to
seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and
regardless of frontiers.
</quote>
http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

This debate boils down to whether or not he has broken the ISP's TOCs,
nothing more.